1/11/06

Get Serious, Mr. Pancake


Here's one that slipped right by me.

Check out this CD of children's music made by my pal Frank Meyer. He's out in my front yard right now making a fence out of recycled bamboo, which is what he does for a living. But his real calling is funny songs. I've known him for years when he was the string bassist for one Austin's most underrated blues acts called the Mannish Boys (featuring a very young Gary Primich on harmonica.) He's just released the fabulously titled "Get Serious, Mr. Pancake" appropriate for children of any age. "Too Bad About Bugs" is the runaway hit I'll bet.

Some of Austin's most talented pickers contributed; Erik Hokkanen, Kevin Smith and Danny Levin to name but a few. Besides playing a bunch of tuba and bass on the disc, there's a hilarious photo of me gracing the back cover, as Mr. Pancake himself. Buy it and see it for yourself.